[gdal-dev] Something wrong with writing a big raster into PDF

Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt pepijn at vaneeckhoudt.net
Fri Mar 7 08:43:10 PST 2014

On 07-03-14 11:42, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> I had another try with the same binaries with a small png file (2000x2000
> pixels) and conversion into pdf was fast and successful. Is there perhaps
> something that does not scale up properly when the raster size gets bigger?
Based on my own experience, Adobe's PDF viewer doesn't handles this type
of PDF very well. They eventually get displayed but it can take a long time.
Internally raster PDFs are typically structured as a large, single level
mosaic of small images (jpeg or jpeg2000). There's some fairly large
examples at
http://www.agc.army.mil/Missions/Terrain/GeoPDFMaps/GeoPDFGallery.aspx
that you could have a look at and see how Acrobat copes with those.

Pepijn