[gdal-dev] Change SQLite default to -spatialite=yes?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Mar 19 06:05:25 PDT 2014

Le mercredi 19 mars 2014 09:13:29, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Would it hurt bad if the SQLite/Spatialite driver would use -co
> spatialite=yes as a default?

Yes, I guess that would make sense (when spatialite is available).

Another option would be to have a "spatialite" driver, that would just extend
the sqlite driver (no real new code), but with a more meaningful name.

So :

ogr2ogr -f spatialite out.db in.shp

would, more or less, internally translate to

ogr2ogr -f sqlite out.db in.shp -dsco spatialite=yes

The only drawback would be when opening: both the regular (FDO) sqlite driver
and spatialite driver would have to open and query a bit the DB to figure out
if it is the kind of SQLite DB they handle. But that shouldn't count for more
than a few dozains of milliseconds for local files.

> Is there anybody really using the "regular"
> FDO type SQLite databases?
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Geospatial professional services