[gdal-dev] Draft GDAL/OGR class hierarchy for GDAL 2.0

Vincent Mora vincent.mora at oslandia.com
Tue Mar 25 01:53:26 PDT 2014

On 24/03/2014 21:46, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Release soon, release early", so for people who like UML diagrams (there is
> also a prototype of C++ classes for those who don't like UML very much), here's
> a blog entry with the outcome of my thoughts for a possible re-organisation of
> the GDAL/OGR class hierarchy
>
> http://erouault.blogspot.ca/2014/03/draft-gdalogr-class-hierarchy-for-gdal.html
I don't understand the need for HandleRasterData() and HandleVectorData().

Isn't inheriting from GDALEmptyRasterDataset or GDALEmptyVectorDataset
sufficient to convey the information that the class doesn't handle those
kind of datasets.

A call to GetLayerCount()/GetRasterCount() from the class user is
sufficient to say "no vector/raster data here", and a dynamic _cast to
GDALEmptyVectorDataset/GDALEmptyRasterDataset is even clearer to me, so
HandleRasterData()/HandleVectorData() would be a third way to tell the
same thing.

Also I'm not sure about the names GDALAbstract* since those are partial
implementations.