[gdal-dev] compiling without writing permission - problem gdal-1.10.1

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Tue May 6 02:01:10 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I have a problem compiling gdal-1.10.1 on a Linux system for which I'm not
administrator.
In the configure I use the --prefix and --bindir options. Everything goes
smoothly and it confirms that "Libraries have been installed in:" the
folder that I selected (for which i have writing permission). After that,
though, something goes wrong:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/space/modelling/opt/GIS/gdal/gdal-1.10.1/apps'
(cd swig; make install)
make[1]: Entering directory `/space/modelling/opt/GIS/gdal/gdal-1.10.1/swig'
for dir in python ; do (cd $dir; make install) || exit; done
make[2]: Entering directory
`/space/modelling/opt/GIS/gdal/gdal-1.10.1/swig/python'
python setup.py install
running install
error: can't create or remove files in install directory

The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
installation directory:

    [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/test-easy-install-29422.write-test'

The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

    /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/

Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory?  If the
installation directory is a system-owned directory, you may need to sign in
as the administrator or "root" account.  If you do not have administrative
access to this machine, you may wish to choose a different installation
directory, preferably one that is listed in your PYTHONPATH environment
variable.

For information on other options, you may wish to consult the
documentation at:

  http://peak.telecommunity.com/EasyInstall.html

Please make the appropriate changes for your system and try again.

make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/space/modelling/opt/GIS/gdal/gdal-1.10.1/swig/python'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/space/modelling/opt/GIS/gdal/gdal-1.10.1/swig'
make: *** [install-actions] Error 2

How comes? What am I missing?

Thank you in advance

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.