[gdal-dev] GeoTiff crashing qgis

David Strip gdal at stripfamily.net
Tue May 13 21:40:46 PDT 2014

I have a piece of C++ code that is clipping regions from a very large
(roughly 90,000 x 100,000 pixels, 11G compressed)  Float32 gray-scale
single band image and writing each as a separate GeoTiff (with LZW
compression). In the sample that I've run, I've clipped four different
regions. gdalinfo can read and provide a description of all four,
however for only two of the images does gdalinfo provide summary
statistics. I can open  two of the images in qgis, while the two that
fail to produce summary statistics cause qgis to hang when I try to open
them. The two that I can open have block sizes of 247x8  (image size
247,311) and 583x3 (image size 583,602) , while the two that fail have
block size 1198x1 (image size 1198, 809) and block size 1444x1 (image
size 1444, 1007).  I'm not sure why the block size would have an impact,
esp since the ones that fail are n x 1, which I would think would be the
easier to read in less capable systems, but it's the only common factor
I've found so far.

All four images display correctly in the Windows Photo Viewer (Win 7).

I'm a bit reluctant to show the whole code since it would take quite a
few lines to get the whole picture down to the gdal calls. The heart of
the write is done using GDALRasterBand::RasterIO, though.

At the moment I'm at a loss as to where to start looking for the problem.
Any suggestions are most welcome.

David Strip