[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 46: GDAL/OGR unification

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 07:01:12 PDT 2014

Even,

Yes, it is hard to measure the impact of probing in a single file or any interactive command line operations.

In the current API the class Driver doesn't expose the Open method:

Driver drv = gdal.GetDriverByName("QWERTY");
Dataset dst = drv.Open("ASDFG");

IMHO that is a missing functionality in  GDAL API.

GDAL API is a library to support Geospatial Data Abastration not just a format conversion tool. You should be able the use it even if your sole intention is do deal with the fictitious "QWERTY" format. IMHO. Yes, you can delete all the driver or put then all on the black list but that may not be the best solution.

The frustration of some user/programmer could be that they know what driver they want to use and they don't want to waste time probing; they don't want GDAL to get confused by files that can be supported by driver A and B; and most important they want to process a very very large number of files (ETL) or repeated times (WEB).

The RFC 36 is just a band-aid solution. It starts from the fact that some drivers already haven a prefix like "HDF4:" and use it to select the driver. As you can see, the suggested code is not that pretty [http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3043] since there is no Driver::Open method available.

Regards,

Ivan