[gdal-dev] Clip Raster Image Pair by Overlapping Area

mikejohnryan08 mikejohnryan08 at gmail.com
Sun May 18 12:41:24 PDT 2014

Hello,

I have a whole set of aerial images which I am trying to clip by their
overlapping areas, for use in a more involved program I am writing with PIL.
I'm completely new to using the GDAL library but understand this would be a
sufficient tool for doing this; however, I'm not sure where to begin.

What would be the best method to use the python OSgeo and GDAL libraries to
extract the overlapping area from a pair of images?  They also come with a
footprint vector file which could be used to clip them, but this may become
too involved.

I could easily do this manually with a GIS program, but I need to execute
this through Python as it will be part of a batch processing script.  Any
ideas/advice would be great!  Thanks so much in advance.