[gdal-dev] Help formatting 2 million images for geoserver WMS via GDAL

Peter Lenou peter.lenou at gmail.com
Wed May 21 18:10:16 PDT 2014

I am trying to use the GDAL command line utilities to format 2 million
images (geotiff) of variable size in a form that can be uploaded to
geoserver to be served via WMS.

I am having problems determining what is the best method to format the data
i.e. do I pyramid the whole set using gdal_retile.py? do I build a VRT for
10k images, use gdal_translate to create an internally tiled image then
gdaladdo to create overviews? I can then use gdaltindex to create a
shapefile for all the resulting images and create an ImageMosaic layer in
geoserver.

What do people suggest is the best method to do this firstly from a GDAL
point of view, then integrating the results into geoserver?

Also, how do I add another million images in a months time? Do I have to go
through the whole process all over again or is there a way I can append
data?

Thanks.