[gdal-dev] Import gpx files into Postgis db (windows)?

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun Nov 2 03:16:15 PST 2014

dandrigo <lcelati <at> latitude-geosystems.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm working with windows 8 & postgis 2.1.
>
> I have several gps (gpx) files. I would like to import directly those gpx
> files into my postgis database.
>
> What would be the easiest way? (ogr provided by OGR?)
>
> In advance, thank you to throw light for me.

The easiest way to import one gpx file is to use ogr2ogr

ogr2ogr -f PostgreSQL PG:"dbname='db' host='localhost' port='5432'
user='user' password='passwd'" gpx_file.gpx

You must read documentation about ogr2ogr utility and GDAL PostgreSQL and
GPX drivers for learning how to control which layer from GPX files are
imported, name the target tables, and append more data to existing tables.

-Jukka Rahkonen-