[gdal-dev] What's up with the 8859 encoding?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Nov 7 15:00:56 PST 2014

Le vendredi 07 novembre 2014 23:53:09, Roger André a écrit :
> Hello List,
>
> I am very curious why after installing GDAL 1.11, I now need to use the
> -lco ENCODING=UTF-8 option when using ogr2ogr on any of my already UTF-8
> encoded shapefiles?  Failure to do so results in this error,
>
> Warning 1: One or several characters couldn't be converted correctly from
> UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1.

Roger,

The default encoding of shapefiles is ISO-8859-1. So if you don't specify  -lco
ENCODING=UTF-8, the shapefile driver will attempt to recode from UTF-8 to
ISO-8859-1. This behaviour has been introduced in GDAL 1.9. Previously no
transcoding was done, and there could be mismatch between the actual encoding
of the content and the declared encoding of the DBF.

Even