[gdal-dev] What's up with the 8859 encoding?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Nov 7 15:08:18 PST 2014

Le samedi 08 novembre 2014 00:03:22, Roger André a écrit :
> Even,
>
> Thank you for the quick reply.   And it appears that using a .CPG file does
> not make a difference in this.  Is that correct?

You have to realize that the input and output side of ogr2ogr are completely
isolated from each other.

So if your input shapefile has a .cpg,  the shapefile driver will use it to
recode from the input dbf encoding mentionned in the .cpf to UTF-8 which is
the pivot encoding of OGR (if the .cpg indicates UTF-8 then no recoding
occurs)
If the output is a shapefile and you specify -lco ENCODING=UTF-8, as the pivot
encoding of OGR is UTF-8, no recoding will occur and an output .cpg file
indicating UTF-8 will be generated.