[gdal-dev] Spatialite and UPDATE triggers

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Nov 10 02:30:32 PST 2014

Hi Jukka,

> I noticed that you have worked with INSERT triggers in
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/27936.

Don't mention it to Sandro: he will yell at me for possibly corrupting
spatialite DBs ;-) I hope that what I've done is safe however, even if there's
still some slight risk, in case what the triggers do evolve over time. Perhaps
I should inspect a bit more the definitions of the trigger to be sure they are
really safe to drop them temporarily.

> What would you say about the discussion in
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/spatialite-users/
> trigger/spatialite-users/A6gR--y2dr4/pkXg4nSdP2IJ
>
> I suppose that the new generation triggers will be created automatically if
> GDAL is built with the next-to-come Spatialite 4.2.1 but it may take some
> time before majority of GDAL users will have it. However, new triggers
> should be backward compatible for all Spatialite 4.x versions. I wonder if
> it would make sense to make GDAL to do something similar than SELECT
> UpgradeGeometryTriggers that is mentioned in the thread.

Perhaps, but that means incorporating the definition of the triggers inside
OGR, which is risky since their definition might be spatialite version
dependant.

> Ten times more
> speed when doing UPDATE of non-geometry attributes for each row is quite a
> lot. Of coarse if Spatialite v. >=4.2.1 will be soon a standard for
> building GDAL with Spatialite the unnecessary slow update trigger issue
> will be solved automatically.

Even