[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.11, official reference implementation of KML 2.2

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Nov 17 12:25:53 PST 2014

Hi,

This is not completely fresh news, but I just discovered it today while
looking at what was the current state of this: GDAL 1.11 has been acknowledged
as an official reference implementation of KML 2.2 by OGC for the 3 compliance
levels :
http://www.opengeospatial.org/resource/products/details/?pid=1218

The KML test suite has been announced a bit more recently :
http://www.opengeospatial.org/pressroom/pressreleases/2122

I'm mentionned in the above link, but of course the original authors of the
below drivers should be credited for having done most of the initial work:
- Christopher Condit and Jens Oberender for the KML driver
- Brian Case for the LIBKML driver, and the authors of libkml itself
- Harsh Govind for the KMLSuperOverlay driver.
And also Mateusz Łoskot for integrating the KML&LIBKML drivers, and all other
contributors.

The script that generates the files that were submitted for compliance testing
can be found at :
http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/autotest/kml_generate_test_files.py

For the sake of clarity, the scope of the KML compliance tests is to check
that an implementation generates compliant KML files. The reading side isn't
tested at all.

Best regards,

Even