[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 51: RasterIO() improvements : resampling and progress callback

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Nov 24 08:34:44 PST 2014

Jukka,

> Gdaladdo seems to lose some resampling algorithms.

Ah, the text of the RFC wasn't clear enough. Bilinear, cubicspline and lanczos
are *additional* algorithms to the existing ones.

> The damage with
> average_mp can't be big by reading the comment from the gdaladdo manual
> page "average_mp is unsuitable for use. Average_magphase averages complex
> data in mag/phase space."
>
> Gdaladdo now:
> -r {nearest (default),average,gauss,cubic,average_mp,average_magphase,mode}
> Gdaladdo once RFC 51 is implemented:
> -r parameter now accepts bilinear, cubicspline and lanczos as algorithms.
>
> Otherwise I have not much to say about this RFC. "Blurring" has two r's,

Fixed

> and I think that it is good that gdal_translate will be able to use
> different resampling methods and there will be no need to use gdalwarp if
> warping is really not needed.

Yes, this can be significantly faster with gdal_translate -r since the
resampling algorithms of overview computation that are used can use more
optimizations than the general purpose ones of warping.

> If you will touch gdal_translate anyway and it will do good job with
> resampling I would like to see the same -tr option than in gdalwarp for
> setting target resolution simply without a need to play with -outsize plus
> -srcwin or -projwin.

That's not technically correlated with the RFC, but I see your point. I'll see
to add this. Note that this will not allow changing alignment of the origin as
you can do with gdalwarp -te/-tap: that would require VRT offsets to be
specified as floating point values.

Even