[gdal-dev] gdal_calc.py: produce median raster

Marius Jigmond mariusjigmond at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 18:29:26 PST 2014

That's because numpy.median expects one array and keyword arguments, not three arrays. It's unclear to me what gdal_calc.py does under the hood (I admit I did not read it) but the correct way to get the median of the three bands would be:
--calc median([A,B,C], 0)
The strange part is that--calc median([A,B,C])works as well and generates a different output. When axis is not specified median should return a single value. At this point I suggest you take three 2D arrays, calculate their median as a 2D array, convert the three arrays to rasters, run gdal_calc.py and compare results.
-marius