[gdal-dev] LZW Compression on geotiffs

Stephen Roecker stephen.roecker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 10:21:39 PDT 2014

I've also been toying with the compression settings lately and thought
I would mention my experience. I'm not sure if this is known behavior,
but when subsequently using the compressed rasters with 'gdaldem' I
got some strange results when the raster was greater than 4GB (i.e.
BIGTIFF). The resulting rasters were either corrupt, way way larger than
they should have been, or I terminated before they completed due to
the extreme length of time (> 2 hours) they took to process. When I
used an uncompressed BIGTIFF raster with gdaldem, the results were as
expected. This was all using gdal 11.0, and the following BIGTIFF
compression settings, -co "TILED=YES" -co "BIGTIFF=YES" -co
"COMPRESS=DEFLATE".

Stephen