[gdal-dev] Generating GeoTIFF overview ("gdaladdo -r gauss ...") takes days for 2GB file...

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 05:34:20 PDT 2014

Hi,

I have a GeoTIFF file of 2GB size. Now, this question is about
gdaladdo and how to optimize loading time of such a large raster file.

According to my observations QGIS has fastest loading times when it's
a single GeoTIFF file with overview images.

Q.1: Does anybody have tipps for even faster solutions loading raster
files into in QGIS (prepared by OGR or other preprocessors)?

The command "gdaladdo -r gauss C:\SG.tif  2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256"
takes actually about 7 days on a Lenovo notebook.

Q2.: Any hint's on how to accelerate this (or to other tools
generating overviews/pyramids)?

Yours, S.