[gdal-dev] Conversion from ASCII to GeoTIFF with gdalwarp: incorrect output

Lukasz Tracewski lukasz.tracewski at outlook.com
Sun Oct 12 13:43:54 PDT 2014

Hi,
I have a few thousands of ESRI ASCII rasters in World_Mollweide (EPSG:54009) projection, which I need to convert to GeoTIFF. Usually it goes fine, but there are certain special cases that resist peaceful conversion. They are all placed on Fiji, which is special in a sense being on very border of a world's map. Problem is that in those cases somehow output is completely messed up, with incorrect resolution.
Here is how I do the conversion:gdalwarp -s_srs '+proj=moll +lon_0=0 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m no_defs' -t_srs EPSG:4326 -co NBITS=1 -co COMPRESS=CCITTRLE -co PHOTOMETRIC=MINISWHITE -ot Byte $ascfile $newname
My ASCII files are bilevel, with 0 and 1 only.
Here is an example of a problematic ASCII:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B46Cy3WOKgyJYVdMLWV0OGFJQ2M/view?usp=sharing
That will produce GeoTIFF with only 3 pixels in latitude:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B46Cy3WOKgyJTnoxSHdyaUR5cWs/view?usp=sharing
Thing is if I crop the ASCII in QGIS to include only left side of the image, then it's fine. If I take the right side, then again I get incorrect output.
Any ideas?
Cheers,Lucas