[gdal-dev] Extract subdataset from netCDF in a given directory

VictoriaH bhudspeth at edac.unm.edu
Wed Sep 10 11:02:47 PDT 2014

Hello, I am using gdal_translate to extract a subdataset from a netCDF file
to a geotiff. If I run the command from the same directory where the netCDF
file is located, there is no problem:

Filename: PM25_2001_02_average.nc

Ex. gdal_translate -of GTiff HDF5:"PM25_2001_02_average.nc"://Data
/var/www/pm25/netCDF/output.tif'

However, if I try to run gdal-translate and point to a netCDF file in a
different directory, I get an error:

Ex. gdal_translate -of GTiff
/netCDF/files/HDF5:"PM25_2001_02_average.nc"://Data
/tiff/files/pm25/netCDF/output.tif'

GDALOpen failed - 4
` /netCDF/files/HDF5:"PM25_2001_02_average.nc"://Data' does not exist in the
file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Can anyone tell me how this is done. I need to run a single script and enter
different directory locations to access various netCDF files...

Thanks, Vick