[gdal-dev] Add Mercator_variant_A method?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Apr 13 06:42:26 PDT 2015

André,

> I am not sure I follow what this has to do with the projection name in
> WKT. The newer WKT specification (ISO 19162) relies solely on the
> identifier to determine which operation method to use to project
> coordinates,

Do you know if there's a publicly available version of ISO 19162 ? I could
only find this draft on OGC website:
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=54797 ( accessible from
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/112?utm_source=emailcampaign219&utm_medium=phpList&utm_content=HTMLemail&utm_campaign=The+OGC+requests+comment+on+the+candidate+standard+Geographic+Information+%E2%80%93+Well+Known+Text+for+coordinate+reference+systems
)

> but the older WKT tends to follow OGC 01-009 which lists
> explicit names to use for the projections. So regardless of what the
> EPSG registry uses for a name, this is the name that is supposed to be
> used for the OGC WKT as far as I am concerned:
> OGC 01-009 (http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/ct): "Mercator_1SP"

AFAICS, OGC 01-009 is very light on details unfortunatelly (doesn't mention
parameters of all projections), and things have more or less crystalized by
the practice of the various vendors (including GDAL/libgeotiff/proj.4). But
yes, it does mention "Mercator_1SP", and the geopackage spec mentions OGC
01-009 as the standard to use for WKT.

> I would ask if this is not a bug in the geopackage itself or whatever
> created that WKT string.

Not geopackage itself, but the NGA's profile on it. But your point on not
mixing the old OGC 01-009 with ISO 19162 new practice is good, and should
likely be submitted back to NGA.

> I'm not opposed to mapping that "Mercator variant A" name to
> SRS_PT_MERCATOR_1SP on WKT import, but I think there's a limit to how
> far one should go to support non-standard WKT.

In an ideal world, everyone would follow standards, and there would not be
many standards/formats to do the same thing ;-) As this world doesn't exist,
GDAL is there to fill in the gaps. I'd say that it is OK to have some ad-hoc
rules to accomodate for data found in the wild (but I'm not sure there has
been data released with the NGA's profile yet ?)

> even spatialreference.org
> is still using "Mercator_1SP" for the OGC WKT.

spatialreference.org is not really maintained AFAIK, and is partly based on an
old GDAL version. So I wouldn't consider it as an authoritative source.

Even