[gdal-dev] Encoding EPSG:3857 (WebMercator) in GeoTIFF, and ArcGIS interoperability

Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt pepijn at vaneeckhoudt.net
Thu Apr 16 04:18:41 PDT 2015

Hi Even,

How does this relate to http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/wiki/RefiningGeoTIFF? <http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/wiki/RefiningGeoTIFF?>

Frank wrote there that
> accepted industry practice has been to accept newer EPSG PCS and GCS codes even though they are not explicitly listed in the GeoTIFF specification

It’s not clear to me from the GeoTIFF spec what the correct way to convert EPSG PCS codes to GeoTIFF PCS codes is, but it does seem to indicate that this is done somehow already.

OGC started a SWG to do this GeoTIFF spec refinement work. Might be worthwhile to ask that group for input, although looking at their mailing list, github repo and wiki pages there doesn’t seem to be much going on at the moment (or at least there’s no record of it).

Best regards,

Pepijn