[gdal-dev] JasPer vs OpenJPEG performance

ewenger ewenger at ara.com
Fri Aug 7 03:52:18 PDT 2015

I'm building GDAL 2.0 with JPEG-2000 support for my current project and I was
surprised about the performance differences I saw between JasPer and
OpenJPEG.  Using JasPer, gdal_translate is able to decompress a 465 MB NITF
C8 file in 2.3 minutes (wall clock) even though JasPer runs single-threaded.
OpenJPEG took 4.4 minutes (wall clock) and used 24.5 minutes in CPU time
across the four threads that were spawned.  Is there some trick to building
OpenJPEG that I'm not following or has anyone tried to multithread JasPer?

Thanks in advance,
--Eric