[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 59 (v2): GDAL/OGR utilities as a library

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 17:12:38 PDT 2015

+1 from a non-voting person.  It will definitely make testing a lot cleaner
/ easier without having to run a separate binary to get most of the testing
done.  There is also an enormous amount of python code that runs os.system
/ subprocess.  That code is very error prone / a pain to maintain.

General thoughts / questions:  (I only skimmed, so apologies for dumb
comments)

- Will this stuff be thread safe?
- Is it possible to have an optional ptr to an error return?  This would
make thread safety easier.  Or is that *bUsageError?
- If the argument parsing to options data structure was also a part of the
library, we could test the arg parsing in C++ without having to shell out
to a program.
- Can we get away from 0/FALSE and TRUE/1 for bools in in C++.  e.g.
psOptions->bQuiet

-kurt

http://schwehr.org