[gdal-dev] Do any of the utilities (gdalwarp, gdal_translate) allow for assigment of ColorInterp?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Aug 28 13:54:42 PDT 2015

On Friday 28 August 2015 20:02:38 Ethan Alpert wrote:
> I'm running in to a problem with gdalbuildvrt.
>
> I started getting the following error from gdalbuildvrt.
>
> Warning 6: gdalbuildvrt does not support heterogenous band characteristics.
> Skipping ....
>
> I'm using 1.10
>
> I've isolated the problem to some of my files in DTED2 format have the
> following:
>
> Band 1 Block=1x3601 Type=Int16, ColorInterp=Undefined
>
> The other data in my build VRT looks like:
>
> Band 1 Block=1201x6 Type=Int16, ColorInterp=Gray
>

> To fix this I translated the DTED2 to VRT's and manually inserted
> <ColorInterp>Gray</ColorInterp> to the VRTRasterBand.
>
> I need a better way to do this. Any ideas?

Yep

1) Remove the test at line 706 of gdalbuildvrt.cpp:
pasBandProperties[j].colorInterpretation !=
GDALGetRasterColorInterpretation(hRasterBand) ||

2) Or for each some.dt2, creates a some.dt2.aux.xml file with following
content:

<PAMDataset>
  <PAMRasterBand band="1">
    <ColorInterp>Gray</ColorInterp>
  </PAMRasterBand>
</PAMDataset>

which will override the default color interpretation

3) Or modify the DTED driver to report gray