[gdal-dev] NSIF with GDAL

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Aug 31 03:24:41 PDT 2015

Le lundi 31 août 2015 12:17:17, Bar Ori a écrit :
> The metadata I am trying to add is according to " STANAG 4545 /AEDP-4 NATO
> Secondary Imagery Format (NSIF)"
> (http://www.nato.int/structur/ac/224/standard/4545/4545_documents/4545_ed1
> _amd1.pdf)

Pointing at a 160 page long document isn't really what I'm calling to be
"specific" ;-) Which fields are you trying to write ?

> I read about the TRE at http://gdal.org/frmt_nitf_advanced.html
> but didn't understood exactly how to work with it in my code. But again,
> will it be saved on the file itself or on external file? My goal is to
> have all in one nsf file.

It will be written in the file. Composing TRE isn't admitedly obvious. It
requires

> P.S. for viewing the metadata, I am using the FWTool, do you think maybe
> there is the problem? Maybe this tool cannot read it from the file even
> when exists?

Hum, FWTools is really deprecated and hasn't been updated in years, although I
would think it should be able to read, at least the main metadata fields.

I'd recommend using up-to-date builds at http://gisinternals.com/ rather.
Especially for the writing part, since some of the improvements in the NITF
driver must be posterior to the latest FWTools version.