[gdal-dev] how to pick the correct projection

Djordje Spasic issworld2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 10:23:16 PST 2015

Hi,

I am downloading an open source .asc elevation files from opentopography.org.​ I attached one of them in this email. Once downloaded .asc elevation file need to be projected from WGS84 datum (EPSG 4326) to Universal Transverse Mercator. Here is an example of how this looks like in python GDAL for Barcelona Spain downloaded elevation model:
gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG:4326 -t_srs EPSG:32631 -r cubic BarcelonaWGS84.asc projectedToUTM.tif
​So in this case the EPSG:32631 has been used as a projection (it hasn't been picked by me), it was googled.

But how do I know which projection to pick, depending on the location for which the elevation data is downloaded?
I googled a bit, and there are few articles online, which suggest picking the right EPSG projection based on UTM zone to which the downloaded elevation model belong to:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system#/media/File:Utm-zones.jpg

But I am not sure I understand how to choose the EPSG projection based on UTM zone.

How can this be done?

Thank you for the reply.

Kind regards,
Djordje Spasic