[gdal-dev] OpenJPEG

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Mon Dec 21 01:01:19 PST 2015

Hi Aaron & Even,

Decoding at preccints level in OpenJPEG would definitely be a great
addition.

I believe OpenJPEG performance could also be improved if multi-threading
was managed directly inside the lib, since in the current situation
OpenJPEG is purely monothreaded.
 From my experience, Kakadu does a great job in keeping all your cores
occupied close to 100% during decoding, even when decoding a single tile
(so this is probably linked to the capability to manage independent
decoding at the precinct level).
In 3 geospatial software I know leverage on OpenJPEG (gdal, orfeo
toolbox, and snap) to decode big datasets (think tens or hundreds of
thousand pixels in each dimension), multithreading is handled from the
user side, by creating a number of independent contexts and run them in
separate threads to improve performance.
This means we are all interpreting the codestreams and seeking into them
independently, which clearly sounds suboptimal.
I suspect managing multi-threading at a lower level directly inside
OpenJPEG could open the doors to much better resource management (cores
occupation, reduced I/O, etc...).

I certainly concur with Even with the "as fast as it can be" :)
Any percent you gain has a direct visible impact when (de)coding huge
datasets.

Regards,
Julien