[gdal-dev] Ideas for GSoc 2015 ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Feb 11 01:21:23 PST 2015

Hi,

I just happen to have noticed an email from Hamish Bowman, who will likely be
the primary GSoc administrator for OSGeo for this year.

"""
I need to send a separate email to osgeo-discuss about this, but the
main thing we need from our osgeo teams *this week* is for the member
projects to coordinate on their respective dev mailing lists and get
their 2015 ideas pages into shape. That is the primary thing Google
will judge OSGeo's application on and despite past success there is no
guarantee whatsoever that we'll be asked back. If the ideas pages are
weak and simply recycled links to last year's we could be left out in
the cold. They want to see that we have active and interested mentors
and a well developed ideas page is the way to show that.
Follow the guide in the mentors' manual* on how to write up a good
ideas page. We'll link to the various ideas pages from the main osgeo
wiki page as we have in years past.
[*] http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/making-your-ideas-page/

One thing to discuss about this year is tightening up the application
process to weed out problematic students early on in the process. This
may mean we take less students this year and strongly focus on quality
not quantity. The typical GSoC way of doing that up-front is to
require the students to send a patch to the project's bug tracker for
some bug/feature of their choosing as a component of their
application. This proves they can code(!), forces them to register
with trac or redmine, download, build, and understand the code tree,
learn how to use svn/git and diff+patch tools, and gets them involved
with the community early on. Another way would be to place a limit on
how many total osgeo newbies we take on. Please do share your thoughts
in a new thread.
"""

So if you've ideas and are willing to mentor/co-mentor, please edit
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SummerOfCode

Even