[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.0 plans/schedule ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Feb 11 03:37:08 PST 2015

Hi,

As I'll give a talk about GDAL 2.0 at FOSS4G-NA next month, I'm curious to
know if folks have things in their queue for 2.0 that they would wish to be
mentionned, or more generally they want to discuss here so that we have a
better picture of what is going on.

As fas as I'm concerned, beyond the already adopted or to-be adopted RFCs,
I've at least the following points in my queue :
- work on OGR transactions at dataset level rather than at layer level (RFC)
- improvements in a few OGR drivers regarding FID management/options.
- performance improvements in the GDAL block cache w.r.t multithreading
- (to be confirmed) improvements in the JP2OpenJPEG driver regarding compliance
with Inspire ortho-imagery technical guidelines and some more general purpose
enhancements (support for alpha band in creation)
- (to be confirmed) addition of a OGR MongoDB driver (loosely derived from the
existing out-of-tree contribution with significant rework)

I was thinking for a 2.0 beta1 at the end of April. Opinions ?

There have been a few IRC project meetings in the past (
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GovernanceAndCommunity ), mainly at the
approach of release time. I was wondering if there is or will be a
need/interest for that.

Even