[gdal-dev] compiling MrSID plugin

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Feb 19 09:43:06 PST 2015

Hi,

I do'nt know if this is more an issue for DebianGIS, but I have the
feeling it is an upstream issue, so I'm posting it here. Please redirect
me if you think I'm wrong.

I'm trying to activate MrSID support for GDAL.

I downloaded and unpacked MrSID_DSDK-9.1.0.4045-linux.x86-64.gcc44.

Then I ran the following on a Debian testing machine:

**
apt-get source gdal
cd gdal-1.10.1+dfsg/
debian/rules gdal-mrsid (which AFAIU basically just creates
libgdal-mrsid-1.10.1.tar.gz and copies it to the directory above the
GDAL source directory)
cd ../
tar xvzf libgdal-mrsid-1.10.1.tar.gz
cd libgdal-mrsid-1.10.1/
chmod +x configure
./configure --with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config
--with-mrsid=/home/mlennert/SRC/MrSID_DSDK-9.1.0.4045-linux.x86-64.gcc44/Raster_DSDK
--with-jp2mrsid=no
make
sudo make install
**

I do not get any error message, but when I run

gdalinfo --formats | grep -i sid

the MrSID format is not listed.

I ran ldd on the plugin .so installed in /usr/lib/gdalplugin

and saw that it couldn't find libltidsdk.so.

So I set

export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/mlennert/SRC/MrSID_DSDK-9.1.0.4045-linux.x86-64.gcc44/Raster_DSDK/lib/

and now ldd could find the library, but MrSID is still not listed
amongst the available formats.

I don't know if I completely misunderstand how this should be done, or
if this a bug of some sorts.

Several questions are open for me:

- Seeing that the SDK seems to have been compiled with gcc44 do I have
to use that too ? And does that mean I have to use gcc44 to compile gdal
and all its dependencies manually ?

- The SDK contains libgeos.so files but in a version that seems older
than the one in Debian Jessie. Could that be a source of conflict that
keeps GDAL from recognizing the plugin ?

Any hints and pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks !
Moritz