[gdal-dev] gdal / ogr drivers

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jan 5 06:05:30 PST 2015

Le lundi 05 janvier 2015 14:22:06, Martin Landa a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> in r28290 I set up some metadata for OGR GRASS driver. In this light,
> I would have some questions:
>
> 1) is it necessary to name OGR driver differently from GDAL driver (in
> this case "GRASS" vs. "OGR_GRASS")?

Yes, if they are not technically the same driver (which is the case here),
they must have distinct names since the registration is now common among all
drivers.

> 2) historically manual pages in GDAL were named "frmt_" and in OGR
> "drv_", this should be consolidated(?)

The actual name doesn't seem to be that important to me to justify the change
and breaks existing URLs. No strong opinion though.

> 2a) probably manual pages for drivers which have both raster and
> vector capabilities (like GRASS driver) should be merged together?

They can certainly be linked together at the very least. I'd say it would be
perhaps a bit too far to merge the pages when the drivers aren't technically
unified.

And even for unified ones, like GeoPackage, I've created a new page
http://gdal.org/drv_geopackage_raster.html for the raster capabilities, but
mainly because the content of the vector and raster pages were big enough to
have their own pages.

Even