[gdal-dev] Problems with GDAL 1.10.1 converting from NetCDF to Geotiff

Julien Demaria Julien.Demaria at acri-st.fr
Tue Jan 6 08:11:33 PST 2015

Dear Victoria,

You can try
export GDAL_NETCDF_BOTTOMUP=NO
just before launching gdal_translate
but note that this works only if your dataset is oriented north-south

For GDAL developpers: I have implemented a path on my version to force blockYSize to 1 if bottomup dataset :

--------------------- gdal/frmts/netcdf/netcdfdataset.cpp --------------------- index f9de39f..5b7a16a 100644 @@ -457,6 +457,15 @@ netCDFRasterBand::netCDFRasterBand( netCDFDataset *poNCDFDS,
         }
 	}
 #endif
+
+/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- */
+/*      Force block size to 1 scanline for bottom-up datasets if        */
+/*      nBlockYSize != 1                                                */
+    if( poNCDFDS->bBottomUp && nBlockYSize != 1 ) {
+        nBlockXSize = nRasterXSize;
+        nBlockYSize = 1;
+    }
 }

I have also implemented several other improvements on the netCDF Driver (including full support of groups and netCDF4), I will provide them to the community ASAP.

Best Regards,

Julien