[gdal-dev] gdal_translate and multithreading

Pierre Soille pierre.soille at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Jan 14 01:11:21 PST 2015

Hello,

while translating a vrt file into a tif file with gdal_translate, I
noticed thanks to htop utility that gdal_translate is using
multithreading (typicallay 4 threads). I fail to find any multithreading
option for gdal_translate (contrary to gdal_warp that has a multi option
and where the number of threads can be set with -wo "NUM_THREADS=x").
Is there any possibility to prevent gdal_translate from multithreading?
Setting the global environment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1 does not
help.  I had a quick look to gdal_translate.cpp but did not find any
explicit reference to multithreading.

This behaviour of gdal_translate is an issue in case of distributed
computing.  Indeed, cluster nodes with many cores are spending most of
their time with kernel time to serve a number of threads largely
exceeding the number of CPUs.

Any hint on how to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pierre