[gdal-dev] loading ESRI File Geodatabase into POSTGIS

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri Jan 16 00:06:57 PST 2015

Hi,
I've been offered some vector data in either Shapefile format, or File
Geodatabase format.
I'll have to pay for the extract time, so I want to choose correctly.

 1. How reliable is the new File Geodatabase reader in gdal 1.11.1?
 2. Is there any benefit (in terms of information, topology, anything?)
    to getting file Geodatabase instead of Shape format?
    (I've read the famous "9 Reasons" doc, so I'm aware of the obvious
    limitations like field names, null values etc - I'm thinking more
    like "does Geodatabase have any topology - like adjoining polygons
    share the common line)

The data will be networks (sewer, water etc) and polygons - I'd kind of
prefer to use Geodatabase as I have an inherent dislike to Shape files
and their limitations, but not if there are still issues with the gdal
geodatabase reader.

I intend to put the received data into postgis.

Anyone care to share some experiences?

Regards & thanks,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za