[gdal-dev] PgSQL and OLCFastFeatureCount

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Sat Jan 17 13:10:23 PST 2015

How accurate is the fast feature count supposed to be? An estimate
could be pulled from the system stats pretty much instantly, but it
wouldn't be exact.

I  come to this question via the FDW work, where the first step PgSQL
does is to try and plan the query and get selectivity estimates from
all the nodes, including the FDW node. That means the FDW node is
expected to return a guess of how many records the query will return,
so I end up calling the OGR feature count method. But if it's really
slow (as SELECT Count(*) can be) then thing will fall apart pretty
quick.

P.