[gdal-dev] Macintosh GDAL library looks for UnixImageIO framework in default location only?

Michael Katz - NOAA Affiliate michael.katz at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 26 16:07:18 PST 2015

I am using the GDAL 1.11 Complete build for Mac found here:
http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks.

I am installing my .app bundle in /Applications (or rather the user is
installing it there via a drag-and-drop .dmg), and I don't want the user to
have to install anything to /Library/Frameworks.

However, it appears that something inside the GDAL library is referencing
/Library/Frameworks/UnixImageIO.framework as an absolute path, and I
haven't been able to find a way to tell it to reference that framework from
its location within my .app bundle instead.

The result is that certain files, such as .tif files, are not handled
correctly (e.g., I cannot get the bounding world rect of a georeferenced
.tif file when /Library/Frameworks/UnixImageIO.framework is not present,
but can get it when /Library/Frameworks/UnixImageIO.framework is present).

I looked at the QGIS installer, but that requires you to install GDAL plus
UnixImageIO to /Library/Frameworks explicitly, so that didn't help.

I understand this Mac build of GDAL is done by William Kyngesburye, and is
not part of the official GDAL build, but I couldn't find a way to get in
touch with Kyngesburye directly and I thought someone on this list might
have faced this problem.

Thanks for any help.