[gdal-dev] Quick question about gdal2tiles

Jorge Arévalo jorge at cartodb.com
Wed Jan 28 11:17:08 PST 2015

Hi,

I'm working with a patched version of gdal2tiles, which makes use of
parallelization:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/7743/performance-of-google-map-tile-creation-processes/74446#74446

I want to create a complete TMS cache from raster imagery. No
assumptions about SRS of data type for input data.

I want the tiling process to be as fast as possible (gdal2tiles is
really heavy process), do you have any recomendations about the data or
the parameters used?

Right now, I'm doing this

Step 1: build vrt from input images

gdal_vrtmerge.py -o merged.vrt <list of input tif files>

Step 2: build tiles from vrt file

gdal2tiles.py -r cubic -s epsg:XXXX -z 0-19 -w all merged.vrt tms_dir

Even with parallelization, process still feels really slow. Would it be
faster if, for example, I convert all my input files to epsg:3857? Or if
I scale them to 8-bit? Or if I use near resampling method instead of
cubic? (I'm using cubic because I'm working with continuous data:
satellite images, am I doing it right?).

Any other tips?

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

--