[gdal-dev] Merge all features in polygon shapefile with gdal

Steven Lutz steven at ruggedrocksoffroad.com
Mon Jul 6 16:13:24 PDT 2015

I've found some examples of how to dissolve features in a polygon using
gdal but I'm not familiar with how to implement them.
here is an example of what I've found, but I'm having trouble modifying it

this is what I've come up with:

|ogr2ogr output.shp input.shp -dialect sqlite -sql
"SELECT ST_Union(geometry), dissolve_field FROM input GROUP BY dissolve_field"|

it looks to me that it is trying to do this operation based on specific
attribute entries but I'm looking to ignore the attribute entrie and
make all features into one.
This is what I've tried:
the 32768.shp has an attribute named BLOCK and it's still not working..
any ideas? >ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" output.shp 32768.shp -dialect
sqlite -sql "select ST_union(block) from '32768'" Warning 6:
Normalized/laundered field name: 'ST_union(block)' to 'ST_union(b

I am confused as to what I should be putting in the parenthasis of
ST_Union()

Please advise.
Thank you

--