[gdal-dev] Attempting to access an ArcGIS REST API through a WMS format minidriver

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Jul 7 15:21:15 PDT 2015

Passmore, James H. <jpass <at> bgs.ac.uk> writes:

> When I try on a BGS service it fails as below:
>
> ...:\>gdalinfo
"https://map.bgs.ac.uk/arcgis/rest/services/UKSO/UKSO_BGS/MapServer?
f=json&pretty=true"
> gdalinfo failed - unable to open
'https://map.bgs.ac.uk/arcgis/rest/services/UKSO/UKSO_BGS/MapServer?
f=json&pretty=
> true'.

> Is the reason that HTTPS is not supported here at all, or if not what
might be wrong with the service/request/ configuration?

By adding "--debug on" into the request I saw a message:

HTTP:
Fetch(https://map.bgs.ac.uk/arcgis/rest/services/UKSO/
UKSO_BGS/MapServer?f=json&pretty=true)
WMS: Did not get levels

Another trial with browser showed some differences between
http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer?f=json&pretty=true

and
https://map.bgs.ac.uk/arcgis/rest/services/UKSO/UKSO_BGS/MapServer?
f=json&pretty=true

The first one sends elements like
    "level": 0,
    "resolution": 156543.03392800014,
    "scale": 5.91657527591555E8

but the latter not. I suppose that missing "levels" is the reason for the
failure.

-Jukka Rahkonen-