[gdal-dev] Adopt RFC48: Geographical networks support

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jul 31 12:54:56 PDT 2015

On 7/31/2015 2:51 PM, Dmitry Baryshnikov wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> The motion of RFC48 has been adopted with support from PSC members
> JukkaR, TamasS and EvenR.
>
> The code merged in trunk now (r29585). Let me know if issues arise.
>
> Also the RFC
> (https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc48_geographical_networks_support) and
> RFC common page (https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/RfcList) were corrected.

This looks very interesting. I have a few questions which might get
added to the futures if they are not already supported.

Are there any drivers yet? Which?
   * like read/write OSM data or pgRouting tables

Are there plans to support turn restrictions?
   * OSM defines edge-node-edge restrictions AND edge-edge-edge-...
restrictions
   * currently OSRM only supports edge-node-edge restrictions
   * pgRouting supports edge-edge-edge-... restrictions

There is a real need to be able to move network data between pgRouting
and OSRM. The osm2pgrouting tool is undergoing some enhancements during
the current GSoC. There is also a need to be able to move pgrouting
tables to OSM pbf files so we can load them into OSRM and this seems
like an excellent use case for this.

Thanks,
   -Steve