[gdal-dev] Need feedback regarding the approaches for swig bindings for librarified GDAL utilities

faza mahamood fazamhd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 23:42:21 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am working on swig bindings for librarified GDAL utilities as part of my
Google Summer of Code project. I have already librarified gdalinfo utility.

https://github.com/fazam/gdal/blob/gdalinfo/gdal/apps/gdal_utils.h
https://github.com/fazam/gdal/blob/gdalinfo/gdal/apps/gdalinfo_lib.cpp

These are the two approaches for swig bindings, after discussing with my
mentor Even.

(1)To create a new module gdal_utils
If we go with this approach, the function calls for gdalinfo and ogrinfo
will be like
gdal_utils.gdalinfo()
gdal_utils.ogrinfo()

(2)To go with the existing modules gdal and ogr
In this approach the function calls for gdalinfo and ogrinfo will be like
gdal.Info()
ogr.Info()

We also need to decide on the names of the functions for all librarified
utilities. Since there is already gdal.RasterizeLayer() and
gdal.ContourGenerate() which does most of the work of gdal_rasterize and
gdal_contour utilities, what should be the names of functions for
gdal_rasterize and gdal_contour?
What should we name the function for ogr2ogr?

I'd appreciate any feedback/suggestion.

Regards,
Faza