[gdal-dev] ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

Ronquillo, Edgar Nahum eronquillo at lanl.gov
Thu Jun 4 09:24:57 PDT 2015

Hello,
So I am trying to run the example called "Clip a Geotiff with Shapefile" from this website https://pcjericks.github.io/py-gdalogr-cookbook/raster_layers.html. However, I get an error about numpy although I do have numpy installed. I believe is something with GDAL. Here is my output error:

ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\r294505\Desktop\pythonTesting.py", line 1, in <module>
    from osgeo import gdal, gdalnumeric, ogr, osr
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\osgeo\gdalnumeric.py", line 1, in <module>
    from gdal_array import *
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\osgeo\gdal_array.py", line 26, in <module>
    _gdal_array = swig_import_helper()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\osgeo\gdal_array.py", line 22, in swig_import_helper
    _mod = imp.load_module('_gdal_array', fp, pathname, description)
ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

By the way, I am running 64 bit windows 7 in case that is of any help. Any help as to what could be this error would be appreciated.

Thank You