[gdal-dev] Gdal 2.0 and Python Bindings

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 23:34:54 PST 2015

26.02.2015, 08:46, Nick Ves kirjoitti:
> Hi List,
>
> I am curious about the gdal v2 python bindings state. To be more
> specific im wondering if there is going to be any functional wrappings
> with an upcoming beta release and if so are there any documentation of
> the API or how to migrate exicting code to the new API?

The bigger changes in GDAL itself seem to be the closer integration of
GDAL with OGR (at least classes driver, major object, and dataset are
now more or less same) and multiple spatial fields in features. However,
the changes have been made so that there is no impact to the Swig
bindings - other than introduction of many new methods due to the
multiple spatial fields.

I've been going through the Perl bindings and doing quite a lot and even
breaking the existing API in small way (I have not yet submitted these
changes) but so far I have not seen any reason to request/suggest a
change to the underlying Swig API.

Best,

Ari