[gdal-dev] New error messages when writing Spatialite

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Mar 24 07:14:35 PDT 2015

Le mardi 24 mars 2015 14:54:16, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) a écrit :
> Even Rouault wrote:
> > Le mardi 24 mars 2015 14:14:25, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I noticed that ogr2ogr from GDAL 2.0-dev is nowadays printing error
> >> messages which I have not seen before:
> >>
> >> "CreateSpatialIndex() error: either "points"."GEOMETRY" isn't a
> >> Geometry column or a SpatialIndex is already defined"
> >>
> >> Conversion works OK but messages make some unnecessary noise. It looks
> >> there comes a new message per every COMMIT;
> >
> > Hi Jukka,
> >
> > Now fixed in trunk.
>
> Did the error also mean that deferred creation of spatial index did not
> work but the index was created right ahead which makes initial insert
> slower?

No, the error was due to the spatial index being attempted to create twice,
the first one when ogr2ogr commits the dataset transaction, and the other one
when it closes the datasource.
I've actually just added an extra changeset since if there are more than 20000
features, the creation of the spatial index at COMMIT time would actually slow
down things.