[gdal-dev] GDAL C++ Api, create new line segments from point layer

Matt Hanson matt.a.hanson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:36:13 PDT 2015

Want to make sure I understand this properly.

So you've got a series of points in your point layer, and a series of lines
in your line layer, and for each point on your points layer, you want to
find out which line this falls on.

Is that right?  It sounds like you've done this part.  However, I'm not
sure what is meant.  Is there an exact matching point on the line (i.e.
same exact coordinates), or are you finding the line that the point falls
on (using some sort of buffer or tolerance)?

If you are just finding the line that it happens to fall on, (I think this
is what you meant by "not end points"), then are you finding the closest
point that actually is part of the line?

If you have found the closest point on the line, then from there I think
it's easy to walk up and down the line by retrieving the points in order.
However, if you currently only have the linestring and the point
coordinates then use distance to find the actual closest on-line point.

Do I have this mostly right or have I only managed to confuse things more?