[gdal-dev] gdal jar in maven central

Justin Deoliveira jdeolive at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 07:43:06 PDT 2015

Hey Even,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Justin,
>
> > I searched the archives and couldn't find much on this topic. I was
> > wondering how people would feel about having the gdal java jar hosted in
> > the central maven repository? I think it would be pretty nice for users
> > not have to build the bindings locally, or find a repository that has
> them.
> >
> > Any thoughts, objections, or concerns?
>
> That should likely be useful, but pardon the naive remark as I'm not
> familiar
> with how maven central works : the gdal.jar alone will not be usefull. You
> need the 4 libgdalXXXXjni.so / dll for it to be usefull, and of course thy
> are
> architecture dependant, so I'm wondering how that would be handled.

Right. The jar won't be of much use unless you have all the native
libraries installed on the system. While maven does allow you to store
other artifacts in a repository I don't think that is a good fit in this
case. As you mention it's very platform dependant and it's pretty common
for users to compile gdal themselves to get the formats they need.

That said the jar itself would allow applications to at least compile.
Without the native libs any actual usage will of course fail. But most
projects I have seen that utilize the java bindings account for this case,
allow things like tests to fail cleanly, or disabling certain functionality
if the bindings are not active.

Long story short I think this would be of most use to developers writing
libraries that utilize the bindings. It would allow users of those
libraries to build it without any extra steps. At least that is my case.