[gdal-dev] RFC 58: Removing Dataset Nodata Value

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Tue May 19 06:31:34 PDT 2015

Hi Vicent,

Since the SetNoDataValue and GetNodataValue is based on the limitation of GeoTiff I would not expect DeleteNoDataValue to be any different. For example, there is no way to set/get NoData for individuals bands, there is no way to set/get an array of NoData values or NoData value ranges. For drivers that support such thinks, the DeleteNoDataValue will probably delete all NoData values from the dataset.

But that is something that can't be resolved by the RFC 58. I think.

Very often, I find unsigned 8 bit images with absurd NoData value, like -9999. That is probably a software specific flag value. The problem is that in gdal_translate there is no option to prevent that NoData to be passed from one format to another. So I am about to implement a value range check on the CreateCopy to avoid that.

Would that be feasible to accept the option "-a_nodata NO" on GDAL command lines, to indicate that NoData should not pass from the input to the output dataset?

Best regards,

Ivan