[gdal-dev] RFC 58: Removing Dataset Nodata Value

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue May 19 07:47:23 PDT 2015

Le mardi 19 mai 2015 16:31:52, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> spatialys.com> writes:
> > I'm wondering if it might not make more sense to modify the input
>
> driver(s) to
>
> > not report out-of-range nodata values ? I fail to see a reason to report
> > an out-of-range nodata value.
>
> I wonder what happens for the nodata value if we convert images with GDAL
> into types with more narrow range (32-bit -> 16-bit -> byte). Can the
> out-of-range nodata values be our own creatures sometimes or do we handle
> the case perfectly?

That should presumably be the job of the gdal_translate utility to remove a
nodata value that would become out-of-range because of this conversion. Or
perhaps clamp it with warning ?, since that's what it will do for pixel values
(i.e. if you've a value at -99999 in int32, it will become -32768 in int16).