[gdal-dev] VSI handlers as plugin (shared library)

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:58:59 PST 2015

Hi there,

What if we could build and distribute VSI handler as plugins?

I developed a VSI handler that depends on other software, so I would rather not build the GDAL main library with that dependency and let the user decided if they want to use the plugin or not.

We would need to have a code on cpl_vsil.cpp similar to AutoLoadDrivers() from  gdaldrivermanager.cpp to load vsi_XXX.{so,dll} dynamically.

Would that be worth the effort? Any other cases where that could be useful?

Regards.

Ivan