[gdal-dev] RFC 48: Geographical networks support

Dmitry Baryshnikov bishop.dev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 00:14:24 PST 2015

Hi Paul,

The RFS48 implemented, but only in trunk. The plan for release was on
GDAL 2.1.

Yes, you can create shortest path between 2 points using a shapefile of
roads, but the graph needed to be created. The autocreate method
developed mostly for points (valves) and lines (tubes) so it may be
unusable for you case in current implementation.
The details is here:
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/trunk/gdal/gnm/gnm_tut.dox
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/trunk/gdal/gnm/gnm_arch.dox
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/trunk/gdal/apps/gnm_utilities.dox

Also, I would like to note, what GNMGenericNetowrk is not optimized now
for big datasets (all graph stored in memory).

Best regards,
     Dmitry